delivered January 14th, 2018 by Lori Brown
- Key Scripture: Matthew 6:1-18
- 3 Normative Practices
- Righteousness is NOT by outward acts.
- Look to God for approval, not man.
- Matthew 6:16-18
- Don’t let your outward appearance give you away.
- God sees what’s done secretly and will reward you for it.
- You can fast gradually, but the goal is to abstain from food and focus on God.
- There is a “zone” you get into with God when you fast.
- Bible Reading Plan on fasting:
- See Richard Foster’s book, Celebration of Discipline, Revised Edition (ISBN: 0-06-062839-1)
- Ascetic practices gave fasting a bad name
- Fasting creates a space for God to step into
- Matthew 4:1-4
- Jesus fasted 40 days. After he fasted, satan came to tempt him.
- Food sustains our bodies, but God sustains our life
- We learn to rely more on God when we fast.
- 1 John 2:15-17
- Fasting gives our bodies a rest and gives us a spiritual rest.
- How to fast?
- Start gradually and ease into it. Start slowly if you’ve never done it.
- Feelings will surface while we fast. Healing is available through Jesus.
- Daniel 1: Daniel only ate vegetables and drank water
- Daniel 10: Daniel had no choice food